Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sad start to the year


I am still trying to come to terms with this, but today I lost my beautiful little dog Coco. She was hit by a car this afternoon and died from her injuries. They say that losing a pet is one of the highest forms of grief and in the past I've lost pets and been sad but nothing like this. I could barely allow my husband to bury her, it felt like I was burying a child. I got Coco when she was 8 weeks old and she would have turned 3 at the end of this month. She was a house dog and followed me everywhere, as pugs do. She was my constant shadow. She could be a little horror but as she was getting older was starting to turn into a really lovely dog. I will just miss her so much. She is buried near Jessica (our burmese who died in May last year) with a new bone that I had bought for her the other day but hadn't yet given to her. The next few weeks are going to be very hard :-(

5 comments:

liz@the wendy house said...

Oh Gail, i feel so sad for you. May she rest in peace.
good luck my friend

Pauline Laing said...

That's so awful! I'm thinking of you today.

Chris said...

Hugs to you all
-Chris

Gail Kirby said...

Thanks guys :-) Today has been better but have been out all day so kept busy and away from the house which has helped. Jackson is running around picking up stray hair and putting it onto my trousers as a memento for me! Given the velcro like properties of pug hair I somehow think we are going to be finding little bits of Coco for quite a while.

Anonymous said...

Oh Gail, I have just seen this. I am so sorry to hear the news about your "little girl". As you know, I can well and truly relate to the loss that you are feeling and know that there there is currently a "Coco" shaped hole in your heart. Make sure you remember all the good times, the marker-eating times, the hair-shedding times ~ she will always be with you.