Monday, December 29, 2008

Adventures in Ikea


I had been meaning to put a photo of this up ages ago. When we bought this house it meant that I lost my study/craft room and hence my "work area" is in the dining room part of the combined formal lounge/dining room. It is always an absolute disaster, I just have too much stuff and no where to put it :-( I found this unit in the Ikea catalogue and one sunny Sunday afternoon after a visit to view the new penguin display at Melbourne Aquarium (hence the penguin inside the unit) we headed off to Richmond to brave the monstrous Ikea building. Why oh why did they have to close the Moorabbin store??? I normally would not have gone out there but I was really desperate. My cabinet is called a Vaanna unit and I think was designed for a bedroom. Here it is almost finished, I had planned to move it into it's permanent spot to be assembled but quite a lot of it had to be done with the unit lying on its side. The open shelves at the top actually have 16 compartments that are interchangable (they are held in with little pegs) and they slope down (or not) so that you can see the contents of each shelf. The drawers are really deep and huge and it's just perfect for my purposes. I've only got 2 of the drawers in at this stage. In fact, I have spent time looking for things that I have finally found already put away inside the cabinet! All my punches and ribbons are in the top drawer. I put the cabinet together 90% by myself and I am very proud of me! I had to stop until DH got home as it needed to be put right way up again and as you can see from where it stands next to the door frame, it's quite tall....and I'm not! I don't know that I got the drawers on properly though as they sometimes stick....also 2 out of the 3 have got the inside liners facing the wrong way ie. chipboard showing instead of white side. I even moved it into the space in the craft area by myself which with being on carpet was quite a feat! It also only just fit into the space between the wall and the table. Just hope it's secure, it does wobble a bit.....I think I'm going to have to attach it to the wall. It's great though, I've got spaces for everything now and the height of each compartment is adjustable. I've got my Sizzix sidekick and dies out of another cupboard and sitting in the new one so hopefully they may get used now that I can see them! I've also got photos sitting read on a shelf and near finished LOs so I can just grab those if I am looking for something quick to do. I must say it's nice to get stuff off the floor but I still have quite a bit to do before the room's completely organised.

No comments: