Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cupcakes






I made these delicious cupcakes yesterday morning to take to a stamping session at a friend's house and the rest to be served that night at my Friday night stamp club session. They are from a new cookbook I bought a few weeks ago called The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook. It's a bakery in London which sells American cakes, cookies and pies. The recipes looked quite delicious and not too hard (read too many ingredients *g*) and so praying that the oven goddess would be kind to me that morning I attempted the Red Velvet Cupcakes. Red Velvet cake is quite an American classic, it's basically a chocolate cake with red food colouring. There is a very funny scene in Steele Magnolias (and Miss Lizzie do you still have my DVD???) where Ouisa (Shirley Maclaine) makes the groom's cake for the wedding out of Red Velvet cake in the shape of an Amadillo, complete with grey icing (they question where on earth you would get grey icing from!) so that when it was cut up and sliced it looked like it was bleeding lol! The cake is amazing to make, the raw cake mix is a stunning deep red colour, I really wished I'd taken some photos but was kind of in a hurry. The icing is a cream cheese one which was also delicious and easy to make. I was very happy with the way they turned out and my guests all seemed to like them!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Um, that might be me with your DVD ... I have one here borrowed from either you or Liz. Oops. I also have another of yours, yikes, gotta get these back to you!
-Chris

Gail Kirby said...

That's ok, no rush! I was just thinking that I don't think I'd had it back yet and wondered who had it!